Friday, January 4, 2013

Order of Things

I found this quote while browsing the web and it really struck a chord. Usually when I find a quote I'll print it out and put it on my desk until a piece I'm working on seems right for it. This time around however I had the quote and knew I needed to do something. Instead of the quote being added to the art, the art was added to the quote.


   I started with a base of 8x10 cradled paint board from Cheap Joe's. I love working on these for a base, unlike canvases where the center can sag this baby is solid and will take whatever you put on it. The panel was covered with a crumbled tissues paper and a light coat of gesso to give a jumping off point.

   I then took leftover scraps from the Gauche Alchemy Hot for Teacher kit and randomly adhered them across the panel. (The Gauche Alchemy kit was provided to me during an event for Scrapbook News and Review) Another layer of Gesso to tie it all together and then began adding color using Golden Fluid Acrylics, lighter in some spots to show the background papers, darker in others.

  Several stamps and StazOn solvent ink (the BEST ink to use when stamping over paint) were stamped across the background. The layers of paper underneath allowed for incomplete images in spots which I felt added to the appeal.

  The images also come from the Gauche Alchemy kit and are just slightly outlined in charcoal pencil. Last but not least is my quote
                          Often people attempt to live their lives backwards;
                                they try to have more things,
                                      or more money,
                            in order to do what they want,
                                  so they will be happier.

                          The way it actually works is the reverse.
               
                             You must first be who you really are,
                                then do what you need to do,
                                   in order to have what you want.
                                            Margaret Young


  I hope that 2013 brings YOU what you want.

    Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!


No comments: