Thursday, February 14, 2013

Swirlydoos Ultimate Designer Challenge WEEK 5


This week's challenge was to create ART JOURNAL pages using paper scraps. You need to incorporate all sorts of left over bits and pieces from scrapbook layouts, masking, layering, doodling and more.

I found that once I started this challenge my mojo took over and had a blast (while creating quite a mess in the process)
I started with a pile of patterned paper scraps. To add to it I took some of the larger pieces and cut them 9.5 x 11 inches, folding and sewing to make a signature measure 5.5 x 9.5".

I started thinking I would do a page or two but wound up filling the entire signature.

My muse for this project was a piece of 7 Gypsies paper from the Trousseau line that had all these vintage images on it.

This is the first page. On the bottom is an envelope that has a pull out tag in it.

By layering the paper and then covering it with a wash of Gesso then misting it doesn't matter if the patterns on the scraps match or not, it all blends together.

Using Modeling Paste through stencils also adds some really nice texture to your pages, You don't need a lot as a little goes a long way.

Adding a bit of lace or fabric in is also another fun way to add some texture.

 I love sewing on my pages with my sewing machine as well. For this project I sewed on them before adding them to the signature, other times I'll sew right onto the pages and have stitching on both sides.

Layers, layers, layers...

Some pages I made into a 2 page spread. Not only did I use Modeling Paste through a stencil here I also used ink through a different stencil.


Stamping randomly with a script stamp and StazOn over the layers adds a neat touch.

Life is good.
The final spread. I also free hand cut a heart out and use both the positive and negative of it. Doodling around both pieces.

 I hope you can see that Art Journaling doesn't require special products....Even the tiniest scraps from your scrap bin can make some beautiful pages.

 Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

No comments: