Friday, February 8, 2013

In the pink...

It's no secret, I'm NOT a fan of pink. I have never enjoyed the color, even when I was a little girl and my Mother would insist on me wearing a pink dress because it would "go oh so well" with my red hair. NOT!!!!

Yet there was a challenge this month on the Flying Unicorn forum to create a project where 75% of the color used was pink. EEEKKK. Now I'll be the first to admit I often fall into a color rut, reaching for the same colors again and again, but could I break out so far from what I normally do?

After stewing on this for a week I decided a challenge is a good challenge when you have to step out of your comfort zone. So I bit the bullet so to speak and pulled out pink things.

This is the page I managed to create.



 The patterned paper is from Authentique and while the flowers on it are pink it wasn't pink enough so I heavily misted it in spots with Plain Jane in Rosey from Tattered Angels. When it dried I began freaking out about how pink it was and immediately had to tone it down a bit. I took a stencil from Crafter's Workshop and used Lake Mist paint dabber randomly through it. You can see the pattern more in some spots, less in others but it was enough that I wasn't hyperventilating anymore.

  I pulled out a piece of Dusty Attic chipboard and cut it into 3 pieces to fit my page design. I first covered it with more of the Lake Mist dabber then Rosey mist. When dry I stamped over it with a script stamp and StazOn ink in Stone Grey.

 The hearts are cut from a piece of sheet metal and covered with Alcohol Inks and finally Prima Flowers to finish it up.

  I actually like how this came out. Sometimes it's OK to break out of the color rut and use one that tends to evoke cold sweats and trembling hands. The result is usually worth it.

 Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

No comments: