Friday, February 7, 2014

It's Serendipity


Hey everyone,
I'm here again with another mixed media technique for you to play with.

This one is easy enough that you can have the kids/grandkids help yet get really cool results.
At the same time you'll be busting that stash of scraps you've been keeping for the "just right"
project.

Now some of you may be familiar with Serendipity Squares.
You take your scraps and adhere them all to a base without rhyme or reason and then cut them down to use as embellishments or bases for other projects.
They are Serendipity because you never know what you will come up with in the end.

Well seeing as this is February,
the month of love.
Where hearts and such abound around us I though I would take our squares and create instead

Serendipity Hearts!

Supplies:
Scraps of patterned paper
Scraps of card stock for base
Adhesive (glue/glue stick is fine)
I use a heart stencil but feel free to cut your hearts free hand

So here are a bunch of scraps I pulled from the scrap box.

Cardstock scraps I will use for the base.

I cut my scraps into strips. Some are thick, some thin, and most are not straight.
I wanted variety.


Begin adhering your strips to your card stock base.
You can overlap if you wish (I didn't as I wanted a fairly flat surface to work on).

Cover the card stock completely with scraps and let it dry.

I used a stencil from Crafter's Workshop for my hearts (again you may do this freehand)

On the back of the card stock/paper strips I filled it with hearts.

Cut out the hearts.
You now have a variety of Serendipity Hearts to work with on projects.


Stumped as how to use them?
Let me share 2 very different ways…

First is a card for a friend.
I glued the hearts onto another piece of scrap card stock and cut around approximately 1/8 of an inch to matte them.
I also randomly stamped across them for more pattern.
Piece of paper lace and stamped sentiment and it's ready to pop in the mail.

Then…in keeping with my inner mixed media child I used a variety of sizes on an Art Journal page.


There are plenty of ways to incorporate the hearts…
make a banner
add to a tag
use on scrapbook pages
add to a card
make a bunch as Valentine's Day cards
Art Journal
and more.

We are creating Valentine Cards for the 1st grade class.
After making them we are sandwiching a piece of ribbon between the heart and card stock to make little tags.
(I'll share them when they are done).

I can't wait to see how you use up your hearts.
Make sure to stop by and share if you do.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

3 comments:

TLC said...

OMG - I LOVE these! Thank you so much, I'm sooo going to have a go!

Jo said...

love love love these ... thanks so much for sharing i will be making these for sure!!!

Deanna said...

This is awesome! So simple, yet beautiful! I'll be doing this today! Love your blog! Have a wonderful day!